Tech Integration | Utilizing ideas

Oct/11

10

Classroom uses for blogs and wikis

So, in your situation, how could you use blogs or wikis? How could it benefit your situation? What do you see as obstacles?

No tags

31 comments

• Matt · October 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

students sharing resources they’ve found regarding a particular assignment or project

• Karen · October 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

This would be great with StuCo! We are always trying to figure out how to communicate with each other and email is clearly OLD now.

• Amy Budge · October 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I don’t know if I am in the correct place but looks good.

• Jean · October 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Book talks.

• Monica · October 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Great way to collaborate!

• Author comment by Mrs. Ray · October 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I teach grades 1 & 2, so I use mine in this way. I have created a blog that showcases photos of classroom activities for parents to view. My kiddos do have blogs (even at this young age) and are just starting to use them. We plan to blog with my daugther-in-law’s first grade class in Charlotte, NC. I’ve been told I can give her access to my blog! http://mrsraysblog.blogs.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/wpmu/

My wiki is set up for our bat research unit – more as a “safe” place for kids to do online research. https://sites.google.com/a/g.kpbsd.org/bats_mrsray/

• Heidi Berg · October 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

In my elementary special education classroom, I could use a wiki to keep parents informed. I could also use it to organize research information and useful websites for my students to use for projects or free time on the computer. One major obstacle, is that many of my students dont’ have internet access at home. Using the internet to communicate with parents has not been effective for me. However, anything on the computer is motivating for my students… so in the classroom… this could be a great learning opportunity for internet safety as well as academic content!

• Mary · October 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I’m thinking I could use a blog for students to discuss Battle Books.

• Ssuan Pfeiffenberger · October 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I would like to create a blog for communication with parents. It would be a great way to keep parents in touch with what is going on in the classroom. An obstacle would be getting parents to check it regularly.

• Amy Budge · October 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I am in the correct place and this is very exciting. I like your use of rubrics for your assignments. Can see this as a good tool for discussing curriculum from Special Services’.

• Jeff · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

This would be a great communication tool with parents and all the students out with the flu.

• ptruesdell · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

We would use this in our history class and for our total school question of the week.

• Denice Spencer · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I did not have any idea what a blog was before tonight. This is all new to me! Thanks for sharing…. I have kids that would rather have all their teeth pulled than to write. Perhaps, this can help.

• Author comment by e10267 · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Thanks Amanda! Great job as usual. It is exciting to see all that we can do with this form of communication. As you know I am in the process of setting up our library elementary blog with posts to helpful resources for kids and parents. It is a lot of fun…I just need to not spend to much time deciding all my special features and get it out there for use.

• Cindy Denny · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I would use this technology to help other teachers set them up for their classroom. I can also set one up for myself similar to yours to post information that I have gained over time. The obstacles would be in learning how to do all those things beyond the basics.

• Jamie · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

This is a great way to organize your course content and be able to share it with students and, if it is a blog, parents too. As an administrator of the blog, you would need to be diligent in keeping it current.

• Janet · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

This will be good to read and research!

• Jessica · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I would love to use a blog to connect schools from different countries. This would be a new way to have pen pals and get quicker responses. Students would be practicing writing, technology skills, and social studies

• Nancy Kleine · October 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I can think of a lot of uses for this with our Connections students…for instance, when we have a club meeting and don’t have time to follow up on a discussion. Also, we do activities and this would be a great place for students to share common goals/themes in the activities.

• Karen · October 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm

My StuCo studnets are not excited to move to blogging- they only want sites they already visit such as Facebook. They say it is too cumbersome to navigate through additional passwords and to remember sites. Any suggestions to motivate or inspire?

• Sarah · October 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I can see the benefit of students and parents having access to both assignments and grading criteria.

• Janet · October 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm

It is exciting to learn. technology is moving so fast with changes and applications

• Bobbie Baldwin · October 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I would like to create a Library Blog to post upcoming events, library news and to solicit student and parent input on the library. I would like to maintain a second blog for use with my Quest students on projects.

I think the main obstacles for me would include finding the time to set them up and maintain them.

• Jessica · October 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Grade level meetings across district

• sharon · October 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I may be able to put general suggestions to parents about how to improve their child’s speech and language skills. I don’t think I could use it with my pre-K-1-2 grade speech students because I usually see them in groups and we would not have time to create it. I would have to think longer on how a group could use it.

• ptruesdell · October 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I would use it for a question of the week.

• Suzanne · October 10, 2011 at 6:41 pm

This will be great for students who are ready for a further challenge or method to express their learning – Quest students and others. The students also need an audience for writing, ideas – the blogs or wikis are perfect for these.

• Karen · October 10, 2011 at 6:41 pm

THANK YOU!!!! this was great!!!

• sharon · October 10, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Confidientiality is an issue in SPED

• Author comment by Amanda Adams · October 10, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Yep, Sharon – Definitely use a Google Site Wiki for SPED. That way only the people you want can have access to it with a login.

• Author comment by Amanda Adams · October 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Karen, I tend to agree with your StuCo students. If they are already sharing an effective communication source, I think it will be used more often and more effectively.

<<

>>